Saturday, January 15, 2011

Valentine’s Day desserts don’t have to kill your heart

This cookie cake can also be made heart shaped for Valentine's Day
Again, use different colors and a heart shaped pan to make a Valentine's Day Version

I really don’t like to bake.  Baked goods recipes have to be exact and are very hard to convert if you are picky about your ingredients.  Yet, I love desserts and certain festive desserts are a requirement (in my family) for birthdays, special holidays and even Valentine’s Day.

Although you can now find some cakes that cater to special diets (gluten free, vegan, etc.), they are very expensive and not easily available.   But in my case, these cakes aren’t even an option.   Since we are dealing with multiple food allergies here, I can’t run the risk of something being cross contaminated.   Basically, cross contamination is the possibility of having a tiny amount of allergen in the food since the allergen is present in the bakery.  Bakeries (even gluten free ones) have nuts and dairy in their facility….so I can’t buy any baked goods (not even bread).  As a result, I have to bake everything at home.  As a result, I end up with an allergen free and much more wholesome version of the dessert.

Necessity is the mother of invention; so over the years I learned how to make the celebratory cakes, cookie cakes and cupcakes without any of the bad things. 

As Valentine’s day approaches, it’s time to find the heart shaped baking pans, cookie pans and chocolate molds.

You don’t need to have food allergies to make these special cakes at home.  They really aren’t that hard to make and taste so fresh.

In the next few days I’m going to post recipes for the frosting, cookie cakes and cakes that can be used for Valentine’s Day.   Even if you don’t have to follow a special diet, these sweets will not clog your arteries and pack on the pounds.

Again, because baking is so exact, figuring out the right ingredient substitutions was a challenge.  Friends and family love these cakes.

Let me know which recipe you are interested in first.

related blogs:  
Creamiest mocha frosting with no gross after taste




Contents are protected by the U.S. Copyright act and may not be duplicated or redistributed.  All contents are owned by BlogToTheNextOne ©2011

2 comments:

  1. Although I am interested in all of the recipes, for Valentine's Day, I most interested in the cookie cake. I'd love to try making this at home for Josh!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will post the recipe.... and technique. I's real similar to the traditional cookie recipes with a few key substitutions to make it healthier (meaning no dairy...no super processed flours).
    You need a heart shaped pan (I got mine at Target).
    I also use the Earth Balance shortening for the actual cookie (it looks like the soy sticks, but is in a green box-you can find it at Whole Foods). I use Spectrum to make the frosting.

    ReplyDelete