Saturday, March 19, 2011

Bodylicious Bacon Brunch

365 Organic uncured bacon from whole foods


This is how it looks when you take it out
of the oven
-looks 'not done,' but it is
Pat dry and let it sit for a few minutes, now it is done




 ....bacon that won't kill you


I don’t like bacon, I never did.  But my 12 year old son LOVES bacon.  So I have to make bacon for him.  He’s not alone, a lot of people seem to love bacon…they love bacon flavor. 

I can’t make the typical bacon for him for two reasons:  1.  I know bacon is not healthy between the fat and nitrites; I can’t feed this to my child with a clear conscience.  2.  Most bacon has lactic acid derived from dairy.  So that’s out for us.

So here is another situation where the EE and food allergies led me to a healthier option.  Get the flavor without carcinogens.

I found organic bacon at Whole Foods (365 brand) that is uncured with no nitrites that tastes as good as any bacon, or even better (I do taste tests and the bacon lovers at home tell me that this is the best bacon they’ve had).  Yes, from a monetary standpoint it is more expensive than your run of the mill bacon, but you will not be paying for this bacon with your body (cancer, etc.). 

This is a very simple recipe, smells great and tastes great.  There is no dairy derivate in it and I don’t have to feel bad about knowingly feeding my child garbage.  So even if he didn’t have dairy allergies, I would continue with this version of bacon.

The recipe is fairly simple, and smells great too.    You could vary the recipe by brushing a little maple (real) syrup on top for the last 5 minutes.  I’ve read and tried a lot of bacon recipes.  Some put the bacon on a rack….this is a mess and also  results in a really long dishwashing project.  I find parchment paper works the best.

Recipe:

1 12 oz. pack 365 Organic brand Uncured Smokehouse bacon (see photo)
Wilton parchment paper
Roasting pan (I love the Food Network one-great for roasting potatoes)


Preheat oven to 400
Line out roasting pan with parchment paper
Line up bacon-don’t overlap

Bake for about 20-25 minutes (keep checking, ovens vary)

Take out of oven, use tongs to place bacon on a paper towel lined plate and pat dry with paper towels.

Let it rest for a few minutes so it can harden.






Contents are protected by the U.S. Copyright act and may not be duplicated or redistributed.  All contents are owned by BlogToTheNextOne ©2011




4 comments:

  1. random visitor: found this page thru another page of urs on renaissance fair. was looking up armor pictures for valkyries.

    yum bacon. i used to love it at one point

    i avoid red meats now :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Austen-I also avoid red meats (unless it's free range/organic)-but bacon is pork (technically not a red meat). You can also find turkey bacon...I haven't tried that yet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Although my son can now eat dairy, I still only use this style of bacon. Cured meats are the worst kind (and this still tastes great)

    ReplyDelete
  4. ..and even I like the flavor of this bacon....I'll have a taste

    ReplyDelete