Wednesday, August 3, 2011

All salmon is not created equal....not for taste or health benefit

Delicious salmon


I know a lot of people who state how they eat healthy now and include salmon in their diet.

Salmon is healthier than many meat protein due to the ‘good fat’ in salmon and Omega 3s. Most people already know this. 

But farmed salmon is not as healthy (rich in Omega 3s) as wild salmon.  Without going into too much detail, the diet and lifestyle of the wild salmon causes it to have more Omega 3s.

But there is yet another reason to eat wild salmon, it tastes SO MUCH better.  

I love smoked salmon and salmon in sushi.  But baked/broiled salmon is not one of my favorites.  Good, I know I should eat it, but I like some other fish more.  Until yesterday this was true.

Last night I made the easiest salmon dish and it tasted phenomenal.  Why?  Because it was wild sockeye salmon.  I enjoyed every bite and literally savored the flavor.

I was at Whole Foods and was looking at some of the 365 brand fish.  I have to be very careful with what fish I buy because my son is allergic to shellfish.  So cross contamination is a concern.  I don’t buy fish from the fish section of a store. 

This package had no warnings and I thought, “Well I should make it, it’s good for you.” 

I made it last night, not expecting the best flavor.  I’m going back to buy more.

The recipe was simple (on the back of the package).

Preheat oven to 275
Season with salt, pepper (I added a little paprika…Hungarian thing)
Oil a shallow baking pan
Place salmon with skin side down

Bake for about 12-14 minutes (until cooked through)
Pour ginger/lemon/soy butter (or butter) sauce over it (see below)

Raise rack
Broil for about 2 minutes
Serve

Sauce:
Melt about 3 tbs soy butter (I don’t consume dairy , my son is allergic to it  but if you insist on using butter it’s fine….but what I Iike about soy butter is that it doesn’t overpower the flavor of the salmon-when I did use butter I used Plugra which is a European style butter-had a very clean butter flavor)
Add about 1-2 tbsp. fresh minced ginger
About 3 tbs fresh lemon juice (they ask for 2, I think it needed 3-4)

Very healthy, quick and so tasty.  What more can one ask for?  Well yes, it’s not the cheapest food……but it was around the price of a family of three eating ‘value’ meals at McDonald’s.  Nobody was bloated; I served it turmeric basmati rice.   It was also a lot cheaper than eating farmed salmon at a restaurant (which isn’t as healthy).




Contents are protected by the U.S. Copyright act and may not be duplicated or redistributed.  All contents are owned by BlogToTheNextOne ©2011 

No comments:

Post a Comment