Tuesday, January 5, 2016

When You Were You






While getting ready for work in the morning, I finally noticed the Mazda Miata ad that depicts: “A driver’s life”

Narrated with just the right level of emotion by Aaron Paul (Breaking Bad), it goes something like this
"16, wide eyes, driver's license took two tries" and moves through "First drive, fast livin'—en route to "Mid-size, family cruising … a sing-along of her choosing."

Subaru has recently used a similar approach showing a family growing through different life stages with different models of Subaru. But what differentiates the Mazda Miata ad is the final scene and phrase, something Don Draper (Mad Men) would have written and Aaron Paul narrated with the perfect tone:

"Now in the garage, something new, reminds you of when you were you" 

Many can identify with this sentiment.  Does it mean that we spent our lives compromising the ‘you’ away? Or is that period of massive compromise necessary to get the family and the cycle continues?

I don't identify with the teen who has the forgiving parents.  Maybe the ad resonated with me because recently I’ve driven a car that reminds me of myself; my son's first car (...and the cycle begins). It is a sports car I loved and wanted but didn't get because I had to be toned down because that's what you do for your family. And instead of trading up the sports car I had for the new one, I gave up on sports cars all together.  Is this just one of the many things we compromise on during the massive compromise phase of our lives?

I suspect the ad campaign will be successful.  Kudos to the non fictional Don Draper and team who created this ad.

Video: Something that reminds you of you

Contents are protected by the U.S. Copyright act and may not be duplicated or redistributed.  All contents are owned by BlogToTheNextOne ©2012, ©2013, ©2014, ©2015, ©2016


1 comment:

  1. Here is a link to the interview with the creative director: http://insidemazda.mazdausa.com/what-we-do/boyhood-qa/

    ReplyDelete